Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Three In A Row!!!

Hey there! This is Casie! We have finally fixed the blog to allow the Lit Ladies to post when they host their own meeting, so this will be my summary of our book club meeting for the month of October!
The book for October was The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. I tried to keep with the spooky Halloween theme and go with a chilling ghost story! We had the meeting on October the 17th at my house in Fort Worth. I asked everyone attending to wear their Halloween accessories and I was not disappointed because all the ladies came lashed out and wigged up! I don't know which wig I liked the best, Sarah's rainbow fro or Veronica's punky purple mullet! Misty was the mod queen and I was going for itchy witchy! I ditched the wig after I realized that I might catch it on fire around the stove and settled for spraying my hair pink! So great job ladies for getting into the spirit of things!
We ended up having a few last minute changes for the meeting. First, we broke one of our rules! The rule is that we do not bring our children to the meetings. It is a rule that we have all agreed on and as long as the hostess requests, we can also break it as well. Which is what had the happen in October. One of the members childcare had to cancel. So instead of her missing out, we changed up the plans and made it into a kid friendly Halloween party! My house was already decorated to the max because Halloween is my favorite holiday. We just invited more kids, made more food, and it turned out to be a blast! I think at the highest point we had ten kids and seven adults there! We ended up with a witch, a vampire, spider man, a monkey, Foofa, Jasmine, Darth Maul, and some teenagers! Not a bad turn out!


Now on the the book. I thought it was really good. Definitely a spooky page turner with lots of twists and turns! We didn't get to really discuss the book very much though because one member didn't get to finish and we didn't want to ruin it for her. I really enjoyed the breaks in the plot, the visual descriptions, and the throw back to Victorian ghost stories. It is definitely a mystery that asks the all important who, what, when, where, and why. While reading I would come up with my own theories and explanations, then change them again a few chapters later! The ending is usually what has everyone going, "What?!?" I know I was. But if you go back and read the last chapter again and really pay attention to what you are reading, you will find your answer. So hurry up and finish the book already! I am still waiting with my opinions. Let me know when you are done!
* A special thanks to Sarah for helping me with food, decorations, kids, costumes, candy, and everything else. Can't wait for the baby to be here so you will be an official member! *

No comments:

Post a Comment